Friday, February 1, 2008

the staples are out!

carver went to see dr. w this morning. L, his tech, was impressed with how well he was walking. he even walked right onto the scale to be weighed. he is 91 pounds. dr. w was also impressed with carver's recovery. he removed the staples, the surgical site looks healthy, and he was not worried about the minor swelling at the bottom. He gave us the green light to exercise him as much as he wants to, and to have him lose about 5 more pounds. This has all been such a huge relief. I woke up full of anxiety this morning, after a bad dream of myself having cancer and not being able to find my way around a hospital. the cancer had caused a hole in my face that I kept trying to cover up. ANYWAY, I am not sure what I was expecting to hear-maybe that the staples needed to be in longer, but really that would not have been such a big deal. I think it was because every time we have been to the vet in the past month we have either received terrible news, or had the experience of seeing carver so afraid and in so much pain. I was worried he would freak out being back at the hospital, but he seemed to take it in stride. e and I took him for a little walk before the ice storm began. e has not been on the afternoon walks with us, since she is at work at that time, so it was really nice for her to get to witness the progress he is making. Carver did great, he really seems so much like the dog he was 3 weeks ago, before all of this unfolded. if the weather is agreeable, I will try to take him for a longer walk, a proper loop (he hates to turn around & walk the same way twice) in the afternoon. sat & sun are promising to be sunny & warm, good weather for adventures. speaking of adventure-the cart arrived! it is in boxes in the hall right now. I hope to have it put together by tomorrow, although today is looking more like popcorn & reading on the couch than it is industrious putting together of things. I want to still dwell in the land of hope that carver will get in the thing. for now, we will both rest after a stressful morning.

details, as they are-carver had 2 tramadol w/cheese this am, at 8. he has not eatne any food yet! he did poop on the walk w/e @ 12. that is all there is to keep track of!

No comments: