Sunday, February 3, 2008

arnold arboretum



I could not have asked for a better day today. 230 rolled around, and when I asked carver if he wanted to go outside, he actually got up right away. I put on his harness, and while we were waiting for e to grab her camera carver was jumping up and down , herding me from room to room, just like the old days-I could not believe how excited he was, and he had no idea where we were going!

he leaped up into the back seat of the car effortlessly. we rolled down his window, and he sniffed the air as we drove past the pond. as soon as we pulled up in front of the peter's hill gate, carver began to cry, just in case we would forget him in the back seat. I helped him out, and he immediately started sniffing everything. then he started to run. RUN! he ran across the street, ran up the hill, stopping only to check stuff out, but so full of energy, of excitement, so full of life!

carver on the run



The Peter's hill side of the arboretum is an unofficial dog park. while dogs are supposed to be leashed at all times, and rangers and animal control patrol the main body of the park, they never seem to cross bussey street over to the other side. sleepy peter's hill sees very few arboretum visitors despite its amazing view. what it does see is dogs, tons of them, and folks who love dogs. especially on a sunday.

here is carver with some of his new friends



it was strange to have carver out in the general public-people react in all different ways. there is nothing like a missing leg to get people either telling stories (good), offering advice (not so good) or telling you how your dog is feeling (the worst). I understand what is happening with most of them, they can't avoid seeing there own dog in mine, seeing the possible future and wondering what they would do. I am still learning what to tell people, what to leave out. None of this fazed carver, of course. He got some sad looks, some great pats, a few good treats, but best of all a ton of dogs to sniff and check out. It was a glorious outing. carver stayed energized the whole time, and smiling.




I came home today so elated, filled with the truth that everything we have been through in the past two weeks has been worth it to get to experience this one day.Had we listened to that first vet we never would have had today, a day to see carver alive and thriving, full of spirit and happiness and curiosity. How grateful I am to have him with us, to have made the decisions we have, and of course to dr. walker, who made this all possible. I feel like I am giving my oscar speech! No golden statue could ever beat the experience of seeing that three legged dog gallop up the hill.

we all left the arboretum happy and content.



e has offered to take carver back to the arb a couple times a week in the mornings. although i hate to miss it, i am thrilled for carver to get to visit his favorite place more often. it will be great for both his body and his spirit. and cheery for e!

carver pooped 2x at the park. he marked his territory as well, and drank a bottle of water I brought along from a small bowl. home again, carver had his tramadol at 415, some wellness chicken left over from this morning, then his deramaxx. Oh, and some banana dog treats our neighbor made from scratch and left for us on the front porch with a sweet note!

world's best day!



cheery pics all taken by e!

1 comment:

troydays said...

Well done Carver! I linked to you from my boyfriend Jerry's Tripawds site, and I'm glad to have met you.

PS - I think we're related, we look quite alike!