Thursday, February 7, 2008

Jamaica Pond!

carver and I made it to dog mecca today-the jamaica pond. carver and i have been walking at the pond his whole life. It is where all the neighbors would meet with their dogs in the morning. Carver belonged to a pack of puppies who ran wild, chasing, playing, swimming, wrestling, while the owners talked about real estate and politics, work and relationships, and about the dogs! It is where we both made many dear friends over the years. The pond is close to our house, but there is no where to park a car. worried that he would get too tired out, we have not been there in weeks. for days now carver has been trying to get me to walk in that direction. having no where to be this evening, I felt inspired-I bundled up (it got really cold this afternoon!) dragged out the blue cart, suited carver up in his harness, and we struck out.

carver was moving in a good clip, until he figured out where we were headed-then it was all running, stopping only to mark neglected territory. I was pushing the emergency back up cart along-it was difficult to navigate a running three legged dog and a giant cart on the narrow side walks but we made it with out any disasters!

he has so happy to be there!

there was much to do-

run around


dig in the snow



check out old territory


chew on sticks



walk among the trees



meet a couple of really nice puppies (and even nicer owners!)



carver even tried to dominate this brown puppy-with only 1 front leg!


we walked until we reached the entrance near perkins street. carver was looking tired, and so was I, not to mention cold. so I tried to get carver in the cart. tried. carver wanted nothing to do with that cart. I kept inching him closer, and he would back up, back up. when I tried a more assertive move, and lifted his upper body up-he balked, squirmed, and managed to almost back out of his harness! at that point carver just lay down on the ground. I tossed all the things I was carrying into the cart, and began to long slow walk home.

we did make it home, but by then I was feeling down, foolish about buying the cart, terrible for stressing him out, worried that I had over exercised him, worried he will not be able to walk tomorrow from exhaustion. but then I looked at the pictures, and at the sleeping dog at my side, and i feel so happy for this day.

details-carver ate 1/2 can of duck wellness and some cottage cheese, then had both deramaxx and tramadol around 6. pooped twice on the walk. asleep now on the couch!

No comments: