Thursday, February 14, 2008

could this really be a vomiting free day?

a not so cheery topic for valentines day, but for me, the cheeriest! after a long week of carver being sick, vomiting every day and diarrhea for one day, and with his elevated kidney levels, every day has been nerve racking. but carver had normal poops 2 days in a row now, and today (if he makes it through the next hour and 7 minutes) will be the first full day he has not vomited. what a huge relief! although, of course, this minute he is panting and making strange noises with tongue. he juts ate a bowl of kibble-another first! eating kibble on his own! eating kibble at all! now off all his pain meds, carver's appetite has come back, which is very nice to see. I have been feeding him sparingly the past couple of days, wanting to see his digestion settle down. today he had rice with wet food, then rice with wet food again in the afternoon. -now a whole bowl of kibble. all of which for the time being have managed to stay inside him. keep your fingers crossed.

carver is in great spirits. we went for good walks both this afternoon (little ponds) and this morning (neighborhood walk), and hour each. he is getting up and asking me to take him out, and very enthusiastic. I am still in worried mode, i have to admit-I look at him with worried eyes, with ears pricked for trouble. I am sure once we get past this stomach bug then i will begin to relax a little more. where is that line between aware, present, and too vigilant?

e gave me a valentine picture of a group of dogs driving in a car, and the dog sitting in the middle of the front seat is an uncanny identical match to carver-I have never scene a dog that looked more like him! I thought she had photo shopped him in! I also received a beautiful bouquet of tulips in different shades of pink. and then, a final surprise-a beautiful framed triptych of carver and I in provincetown. what a wonderful gift!

No comments: