Thursday, January 24, 2008

depression

its is around 3pm, my first day back at work. I am working half days today and tomorrow. Last night carver seemed to fall into a depression. He seemed really down, not interested in anything. I woke up at 4 a.m. this morning to take carver out and get him settled in before I left. e was here, so he was never alone, which is a blessing. thank god for our flexible jobs, which have made this time so much easier.
anyway, back to depression. when i got home from work, carver just lied there. he didn't even wag, which broke my heart. This morning e had given him his pain meds, and he chomped down on a pill-blach! after that he refused all food, not wanting to be tricked again. I was exhausted after sleeping so little. carver jumped onto the couch after a little prodding and a bit of rescue remedy, after reading a bit we both took a 2 nap. when I woke I decided it was time to go outside. I got dressed, bundled up and asked him if he wanted to. no movement. finally to moved his back legs a bit, and he jumped down. he peed big,pooped right away, then went walked around the 2 houses, him eating snow, his current obsession. I wish it would snow today! we ran into our dog walked friend c with a greyhound. carver seemed glad to see another dog, but he really wanted to go with them, he kept turning his head to watch them go, and we both felt sad.
home again, i gave him a can of wellness 95% beef, which he wolfed down, then drank some water. ate his cookie, then back on the couch. took him anti inflammatory. now it is time for pain meds.
I feel so sad to see him this way-not the amputation, but his feeling down and not excited about his usual things. I worry about him, of course. in some ways this is the hardest part. I am longing to take him to the arboretum, to the pond. I am dying for his stitches to be removed. I am dying for him to be off the pain meds. this time is so precious, we do not know how much time we have, and I want each moment to be a joyous one for him.

No comments: