Friday, March 14, 2008

pond walk

carver really wanted to got the jamaica pond today. it is one of his favorite places. I took him, but my heart wanted to goto ward's. I wished i had listened to my heart. oh, the pond was fine, but high with run off from the melting winter all around. carver really wanted to go in the water, but he cannot get back out himself, because of all the slippery rocks that line the shore. with no beach to step on, I cannot get stable footing to hoist him out. so we spent a greater part of the walk on leash, with me trying to distract him from the waters edge. then an older woman approached us. she gave carver pats and asked about his missing leg. she then asked about his prognosis. when I told her, she asked, "do you think it was worth all the trouble?" I smiled and said "yes!", but inside I was fuming. what a question! was it worth it. I have been lucky in that i have not encountered this kind of questioning and attitude too often, but even a hint of it burns me up. if you feel that way about dogs, why even ask questions? why show interest? so we kept walking, me tugging carver away from the water, swearing to never go back to the stupid pond, but of course we will be back. carver will insist.

No comments: