Wednesday, April 2, 2008

pond rest

we walked to the pond today. carver was super energetic on the way there, we made it to the pond in 10 minutes-but the first thing he did was lie down. our whole time there was a series of short walks followed by a 10 minute rest. we walked down the bowl, near the water, then back. I had a really difficult time getting him to walk AT ALL when we were headed home. it really scared me. it is such a scary feeling to feel stuck with this huge, ailing dog. at times I was so freaked out I made him walk some, and then felt awful, he looked confused and stressed. but, once we got off the grounds of the park he did walk much more readily, so there was a bit of stubbornness mixed in there somewhere. but he had to lie down 2 more times on the way home. I was so relieved to reach our steps. we were out for a hour and a half. I still feel so stressed about the whole thing-it just does not make any sense, and I am needing it to. I am having a terrible time letting go of my expectations. a week ago he was fine! wanting not to walk in the a.m., but fine in the afternoons! this just seems so sudden. awhile after we got home, I spent some time stretching his legs, trying to see if I could pinpoint any place of pain, but he does not react. when he is running, is he masking the pain? or is it really that he is getting fatigued? what if it is a small curable injury that we are missing? I feel lost in all of this, not sure what the best way to take care of him is. I hate the idea of not going to the pond, but for the moment I also hate the idea of going. I am contemplating giving him a couple days of bed rest while I get him back on tramadol 3x a day instead of 2-I am just not sure. I feel stressed and scared and confused.

details
short walk this a.m.-food at first, slow going home-peed, no poop
tramadol at 7 a.m.
1/2 can wellness w/core kibble
tramadol at 3p.m.
pond walk 445-515, lots of rest breaks, seemed to be in some discomfort, pooped 2x, marked territory
ate a large bone on the way to the pond-worrisome
1/2 can wellness venison
deramaxx at 530

question-when was the last time I saw carver on the couch or the futon? he has been resting mostly on the floor-this may give me a clue..

No comments: