Monday, April 28, 2008

it was my birthday

and I had a busy week, full of celebration. it was the first week I have had in a long time that was not totally focused on carver, and it was good not to be so stuck in my cycle of worry and fear, but truly I missed him-it got hard to be out all the time. today is my first free afternoon and I am psyched to hang out with him. janice is coming over to give him an acupuncture treatment. it is cold and rainy, so carver didnt want a walk.

carver has been doing o.k. I notice that his back legs look thin, I think he has lost some muscle. it seems to be the hind legs that are giving him the most trouble these days. we are back giving him tramadol. I am trying to be in a schedule where I can give it to him, wait an hour, then walk him, although this is tough in the early morning. he seems to be heavy on his remaining front foot as well today-but I do think the humidity has an effect on his joints. we have had some good walks recently, with less laying down. basically it is different from day to day, and I am getting used to being more in the flow of things. one sweet thing is that he always wants to be with me. I cut up some cheap rugs e bought and made runners going through the whole apartment, as well as put beds in every room, so he has a bigger world. this has worked great-carver sleeps in the bedroom very night. when I came home he was in my office. I feel like every day I learn something new about carver and his needs. a lot of it I wish I had figured out years ago-I do not think I was paying close enough attention-but I am grateful that I am still open to learning, and can make as many adjustments as I can to make him comfortable and happy.

No comments: