Monday, May 12, 2008

I should have known it would be a good walk

when carver walked himself down the stairs while I was checking the mail. I was shocked! I always help him down. We headed down to the field for a short walk, but carver was full of energy and headed down the path to ward's pond. we have not been to wards in a long time-carver has not had the energy, and always saves it for going to the jamaica pond. a part of me had resigned myself to not being able to go down to wards, but it is my favorite walk. carver lead me right to the entrance, and down the path. there are a couple of oppertunities to branch off for a shorter walk, but when ever I suggested it carver pressed on. once we turned the bend, carver turned and went right into the thicket and headed straight for the flooded stream that feeds the pond. I made my way through the brush to find carver knee deep in mud, lapping at the water around him. I helped him out of the mud, but not before he slipped and fell face first into the thick black muck. we walked to the pond proper so carver could drink and clean off his feet. the whole walk was wonderful. he was so full of energy and cheer. we rested here and there, but he always jumped up ready for more. there were dogs to visit and we saw a beautiful red winged black bird. the walk home was fun, carver still playful and feeling good. he even came back outside with me to sniff around the yard while I took out the recycling. a big cookie for him, and then some supper. what an amazing gift, how wonderful to see carver so happy and full of life and curiosity. my heart is full from the day.

No comments: